Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Pergola Project Part II

John bought the materials for the pergola and finished it in one weekend. I designed it so that it would create more privacy from the street. We put three sides on it with lattice panels and kept the front open. I put a swing in it that I had acquired from a friend who was going to throw it out. She didn't like it because she didn't have much shade in her yard. The canopy acted as a sail and the wind kept blowing it over. She didn't save the hardware and I told her John could put it together, so she gave it to me. John had bought the necessary hardware that very day and had it all put together that night. My friend came over and was surprised we had it together and in place in such a short time. It is so nice having someone who can fix things and build things we need around the house! The swing used to be located on the screened porch which John was transforming into the new master bath. So the pergola became the new perfect home for it.

Here are before and after pictures of the pergola:
People ask me all the time how do I keep the weeds from growing back. The best thing is to put down weed fabric and mulch over that. It also helps if the area does not get watered by the irrigation system. Of course, weeds will sprout in the mulch, so I do have to pull weeds from time to time. But it is not that bad if I do a little every morning as I stroll through the garden with my cup of coffee. I usually only weed this area about once a month.











No comments:

Post a Comment