Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Comfortable Place to Sit

My next project was to create a comfortable place to sit in the front yard...a place where I could sit and read and listen to the waterfall in the pond and not be seen by passing cars. There was a place by the azalea island bed, but I had to get John to move a couple of azaleas back a few feet so I could have a little cubbyhole for my chairs. I purchased two adirondack chairs from a 75 year old man who lived across from my credit union. He advertised he would make them and paint them whatever color I wanted. I think they cost $75 each...and that included an ottoman. At the time, I didn't realize they should have been made of cedar, because he used pine (which was cheaper) and I threw them away a month ago because they had rotted...about three years later.

Anyway, I had John make me a frame out of pressure treated wood and I bought some 12 X 12 concrete pavers to make a platform for the chairs. I used to take my laptop out there and do some work and listen to the birds chirp. I put up a few bird feeders which attracted birds as well as squirrels. Here's a photo of my seating area:
Purple is my favorite color and I love this shade. I also like cobalt blue and red accents in the garden.

I got tired of fighting with the squirrels, and I now have a cat who is an excellent hunter, so I don't see very many birds or squirrels anymore. I think the birds have gotten the word about my killer cat. After I threw away the rotten adirondack chairs recently, I put up a new bird feeder I got for Christmas a couple of years ago. I haven't seen any birds in it yet, but it looks like the seeds are getting lower. I don't know if the seeds are just settling or what because I never see any birds and I can see the feeder from my living room window.
Next... a platform for a nice urn I purchased from Home Depot.


No comments:

Post a Comment