Monday, June 22, 2009

Pond Plants and Shade Plants

I thought you might like to know what I planted around the pond (see pictures from previous posts). The palm in the middle is a date palm. They will reproduce pups, so be aware of this. They can be difficult to remove without hurting the pond liner and waterfall container. The yellow plant is Apinia (variegated shell ginger), the tall pink plant is Hawaiian Ti (also known as Three Sisters), several bromeliads, and Spathiphylum (Peace Lily). Inside the pond is Siberian Iris and water lily. I planted aloe vera on the backside of the waterfall which spreads and makes a great plant to share with friends. And a few annual marigolds and impatiens add color. Although I love their bright color, I stopped planting marigolds because I have so much space to fill in my 1/2 acre yard, I am tired of having to replace annuals. These days, I'm trying to fill most of my yard with colorful perennials that can handle shade.
It has been difficult finding colorful plants for a shady yard that can take the Florida heat and our extreme dry and extreme wet seasons. I have made plenty of mistakes. For instance, I used to read gardening magazines and online articles about great plants for shade gardens. Two that are constantly mentioned are Astilbe and Hostas. Well, these plants can't take the Florida heat. I have tried several times in different locations, even in my most shady area, and they won't do much. They come back every year but they are so puny, it's embarrassing. So I decided the only gardening books I should read are books and magazines dedicated to Florida gardening. It has been a challenge to find anything just about Florida. I believe it is because we can garden year round in Florida so no one has time to write about it. The best source I have found is Florida Gardening magazine and the books that are recommended in it. This magazine also publishes all the Florida plant shows, etc. for the next three months. Florida Gardening magazine was a great find for me and I highly recommend it.

Here are photos of the shadiest spot in my garden. I have planted many houseplants in it as they do very well. Coleus tends to freeze, but covering them during the freeze can protect them.


Here are links to websites I use that are great resources for researching plants and their care in the Florida area: Zebra, Spathiphyllum (Peace Lily), Anthurium, several types of Calathea: Peacock Ginger, Triostar, and others I don't know the name of, Caladium and Bird's Nest Fern.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Donna,
    The site is looking fabulous. Your pictures are great and I love the pond development. I look forward to your beautiful summer growth! All is well, ;-> Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the progress you are making. blog looks great. talk soon, roxie

    ReplyDelete